Sunday, June 20, 2010

And how about afterwards?

On Sunday we slept in, shopped in the rain, and then grabbed a quick bite to eat on Stone Street. Then I dressed up in my new outfit (Happy Birthday to Me, From Me!), and David and I went to see the musical Rock of Ages, starring Constantine from American Idol, Season 4. However, his understudy stood in on the night of our performance, since the Tony Awards were on the same night. We were shocked at the huge crowd that had gathered in Times Square to watch the awards show that night.
After the play, David and I decided to take the Staten Island Ferry (which is a good way to see the Statue and the Manhattan skyline for free).
It was there on the ferry that I had my breakdown...the realization that I was no longer celebrating my special day where I just so happened, this time, to turn three decades old. Instead, I realized that I, on that particular day, was just a mere, boring, and OLD thirty years and one day...nothing special about that! There were a few tears while I pondered the fleeting passage of time and the relative insignificane of my days on earth so far.
I dried the tears up quickly. (There were some very odd Staten Islanders on the ferry who were looking at me strangely.) After all, I may have forgotten many details of my first 30 years, wasted some others on insignificant activities, and probably used up countless more napping, but...THERE'S STILL TIME!!!! My next 30 years will look quite different!

Q: And how about afterwards?
A: Look out, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment