Sunday, June 20, 2010

How am I going to take turning THIRTY?!

So, it's finally here. The Big 3-0. Being someone who LOVES birthdays in general, I really hadn't been dreading this milestone like so many of my acquaintances seem to have done. Historically, I always look forward to June 12th for weeks in advance, even to the extent that my husband jokes that I don't actually celebrate a birthDAY...mine is a birthWEEK! I just can't help it, though. I love having an excuse to go out to my favorite restaurant(s), hang out with my favorite people, cook my favorite dishes at home, and eat desserts on a daily basis without feeling guilty! I also seem to manage to buy MYSELF a birthday gift every year.
Even so, as much as I love celebrating my birthday each year, I had suspected that this one might be marked with a little bit more emotion and introspection than usual. I combated this apprehension by booking flights for David and me to New York City to visit our bestest friends Adam and Sara and celebrate this monumental occasion in style! And we did!
We arrived late on Thursday, took a cab from the airport, and arrived at the Jonases apartment across from Battery Park in the wee hours of the morning. We greeted them and their girls (pups Lola and Lucy), chatted for a while, inflated our air mattress, and crashed in their studio apartment which was absolutely AWESOME!
On Friday, David and I split a ginormous sandwich at Carnegie Deli, hopped a double-decker bus (like all good tourists should) and toured upper Manhattan, went to MOMA, and then finally to watch the Yankees play the Astros at the new Yankee Stadium!
Then on Saturday, my birthday, Sara and I went for a jog along the Hudson River, which was much, MUCH cooler (in so many ways) than jogging ANYWHERE in Birmingham right about now. We came back to the little shop in the bottom of their apartment building and got breakfast...chocolate chip pancakes, fruit, and coffee for me... ...which we enjoyed on Sara and Adam's roof-top deck, which boasts an AMAZING view of the entire Southern tip of Manhattan, including the Statue of Liberty!
Thus began my 30th birthday. The rest of the day was spent on another double-decker bus (lower Manhattan), at Top of the Rock, and then out to dinner at Sushi Samba!
All in all...a good day! Most of all, though, I will never forget that I spent that morning enjoying my coffee while relaxing in a lounge chair on the roof of a building in New York City!
Q: How am I going to take turning THIRTY?!
A: Lying down!

No comments:

Post a Comment