Monday, July 12, 2010

What makes someone a good wife?

I would like to begin by emphasizing the fact that I am FAR from being an expert on this topic. Most days I feel like a complete and total failure as a wife. Then again, sometimes I'll finally start to think that maybe I've gotten it right...only to come crashing back down to reality when I go to fold a pair of David's khakis only to realize that they're still missing the button that he asked me to sew back on YEARS AGO!

So what exactly are the criteria?

My first source would of course be the Bible. Ephesians Chapter 5 tells us to respect our husbands and to submit to them, as to the Lord. Proverbs 31 give us another outline. In regards to the literal comparison, I have yet to consider a field and buy it, to plant a vineyard, to clothe my chidren in scarlet and myself in fine linen and purple, and what on EARTH is a distaff?! By analogy, I get that a good wife is hard-working, diligent, prudent, virtuous, selfless, etc.

But what does that mean in today's terms?! THIS is what I'm constantly trying to figure out.

Just for context...David and I have been working like crazy the past few weeks, getting our rental property ready for new tenants. We've been leaving our real jobs every day only to go straight to our townhouse to work several MORE hours, just to come home in time for bed...or sometimes even go upstairs at the townhouse and crash on an air mattress!

Tonight I came home early to wash, not only the pile of dirty clothes we'd accumulated at the townhouse, but also the mounds of laundry we have at our own house! While doing my tidying up, I went to unload the dishwasher. What I found there disturbed me to my core. I began putting away drinking glasses, a few salad bowls, some cookie sheets and a baking pan (where I cooked some treats to take to Mississippi for our July 4th weekend with his family), two pans where I cooked myself a meal while he was out of town for work. That's when it occurred to me...

I have not cooked dinner for my husband THIS ENTIRE MONTH!!!!!!!!!

Granted, I HAVE painted, installed tile, used power tools, and done lots of other things that a lot of wives probably wouldn't do...but still...what's most important?!

Is it keeping your mouth shut and just smiling and nodding at everything your spouse does or says?

Is it working hard at your career and contributing to the family finances?

Is it staying home to care for your children and your household?

Is it waiting on your husband hand and foot and dropping everything whenever he calls, in order to entertain his every whim?

Is it working alongside him to meet a common goal, even if that means neglecting other duties that might typically be considered your wifely duties?

Or is it something else entirely?

Well, my husband just called. He's on his way home. I still feel guilty for skipping out on the project early tonight. But I've washed several loads of clothes (something he often does), folded several more, unloaded the dishwasher, straightened up the house, all while catching up on my reality TV (just being honest!). The good news is that I'll be ready to focus on him when he arrives.

Q: What makes someone a good wife?
A: When my husband gets home, I'll ask him.

No comments:

Post a Comment