Thursday, April 15, 2010

How do you fold a fitted sheet?


So, there it is: my first question. It is only appropriate that it be the one that's haunted me for years and, alas, the one that has prompted me to blog. You see I've always been an inquisitive person by nature. My mother, I believe, secretly curses the day I began to talk, because since that time I've hardly slowed down to catch my breath. But most of my speech in my early days, I understand, was wasted on useless questions that she says I really only posed in an attempt to quiz her. She said it's almost like I knew the answer myself...and just wanted to test her to see if SHE did! I honestly can't say that I remember, but I can also honestly say...it definitely sounds like something I'd do. Since then I hope I've at least put my questioning mind to some constructive use. The 'why' behind so many of life's functions and philosophies has led me on many a search for answers. Some I've found. Some, I've discovered, are best left unknown. Hence the enigma of the infamous fitted sheet.
Ironically, I once came so close to the answer! Sadly, I just didn't value the information at the time. I vividly remember the day one of my sorority sisters proudly announced to me (I believe she was glowing!) that she'd discovered how to fold a fitted sheet! I was apathetic at best. I mean, gee, it was college. My dormroom sheets were twin-sized, so it wasn't exactly the world's biggest hassle to fold them. Not to mention...I only had one set! I was more concerned with finding an available dryer in the laundry facility so I could get them ready to go back on before bedtime! It wasn't until many years later (and until my very gracious friends and family had seen fit to purchase both sets of sheets on our wedding registry) that this information finally seemed relevant. Consequently, I also vividly remember the day that I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I really wished I'd asked about that whole fitted sheet thing."
The whole issue became a rather sore spot for me. For whatever reason, I made it my intention NOT to fold my fitted sheets properly. They usually got wadded up and shoved in my linen closet, at which point I would walk away feeling like quite the domestic failure. That is, until one day. In a moment of illumination (another vivid recollection), as I was engaging in that all-enlightening household activity that inspires us all (folding clothes), I came to a very important realization. It. really. doesn't. matter. It doesn't.
Propelled by my new freedom, I made a very piss poor attempt at the sheet. Which resulted in a shape never before identified by modern geometry. Which I then pretended was my goal! Ha! Problem solved! Question answered! And so the journey begins...with the question that prompted them all:
Q: How do you fold a fitted sheet?
A: However you'd like!

(I would ask the indulgence of my fellow grammar snobs for the phrasing of the above question, as well as the title of the blog itself. I am aware of, and in fact bothered by, the fact that the correct wording should be "How does ONE fold a fitted sheet?". However, in light of the fact that this is not how the general public speaks and also in a conscience effort to avoid sounding presumptuous, I am conceding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment